That turned me to think that our performance review and appraisal system had to be changed. We needed to transform a classical model when agents were awarded for their contribution into ticket handling, quality, and customer satisfaction to something else, which would also consider their contribution into the Collective Knowledge.
We've found these KPIs that would help us:
- Participation rate (PAR) — it is a percentage of tickets with either a new article created while resolving the ticket or an existing one with a resolution that helped. The metric shows how agents follow the process and remember to create and link articles.
- Article Quality Index (AQI) — it is an evaluation metric that indicates the quality of articles.
- The number of articles created, approved and published. We used those as auxiliary metrics to validate the sample size for the above KPIs.
But to implement the new appraisal system, we had to collect and analyze the data, and that was not easy at all. We started with exporting raw data from the database as CSV files, importing them to Excel, and building pivot tables and associated charts. Then we purchased another 3rd-party BI solution that helped us aggregate data from across multiple systems and skip the export/import part, bringing the data straight to Excel sheets.
Having the new performance review system and BI solution behind, we resolved the first two problems. Now agents were appreciated for their knowledge management efforts and started to feel it as a part of their job.
But debunking the third "scary tale" took time. We had to keep talking with people and show the first results of our work. The customer base was growing quite intensively, but the ticket volume not only stopped growing but even decreased a bit. The team realized that no one got fired, and at the same time, the constant pressure and stress caused by the constant understaffing had gone away.
Agents accidentally spotted that the routine, boring typical cases became more seldom, and they tended to spend more time on interesting and complex tasks. They now got to experiment more and help improve the product by collaborating with R&D guys. That was a game-changer moment, and finally, we celebrated a victory!